• Greeting clients and visitors and answering visitor inquiries
• Answering and routing incoming calls on a multi-line telephone system
• Scheduling and routing clients
• Maintaining and scheduling conference rooms
• Maintaining the waiting area, lobby, conference room and/or other public areas
• Serving refreshments to guests
• Scanning, photocopying and filing documents
• Collecting and routing mail and hand-delivered packages
• Inputting information into our database system
• Running errands when needed
• Data entry, word processing, establishing new case files, helping close case files and drafting simple correspondence when needed.
• Additional duties may be added as needed
A high school diploma is required. Formal office education or training as well as experience as a legal assistant/secretary is preferred but not required. We will provide on-the-job training.
Legal assistant must possess excellent interpersonal and customer service skills to communicate with attorneys, clients, workshop attendees, staff and others. Applicant must also have the ability to operate multi-line telephone systems and office equipment such as computers, printers, scanners, copiers and videoconferencing equipment. Strong spelling and grammar skills are important in taking effective messages and drafting correspondence and reports. Legal assistant must be familiar with Microsoft Word and Excel.
Since you will often be a visitor’s first contact with the firm, a professional appearance and polished demeanor are important. Other personal traits necessary to the job are:
• Respect for client confidentiality and discretion
• Attention to detail
• Positive, upbeat attitude
• Willingness to learn new procedures
Need help finding what you're looking for?
Type in your topic of interest and Google will search our site.
Information presented on this website is not to be considered legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. No endorsements are intended by any references herein. Any communication with our firm through the Internet or this website should not contain any confidential or time sensitive information.
The Alabama State Bar requires the following: “No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.”